Massive Mendip muscle for Weston members
- Credit: Archant
Weston Athletic Club runners have been running hundreds of miles between them in the past week.
LAST week saw Weston Athletic Club runners take on a variety of challenges accomplishing many hundreds of miles between them.
Firstly, special mention must go to Jason and Rachel Smith, who completed seven marathons in seven days as part of the 7x7x7 team, raising thousands of pounds for their chosen charities. They were joined during the week by fellow club members Pete Clark and Gareth Weaver.
Following his marathon with the team, Pete went on to run the Burrington Blaster. The 8k off-road route sees runners tackling 254m of climb including a 3k uphill stretch at the start.
Kieron Summers was first club male to finish in 37.05 and fifth overall. Andy Chadburn was next in 38.58, and Pete took the next spot in 41.24 - not bad for someone who had run 34 miles that day.
You may also want to watch:
Phil Richards was first club female to complete the Burrington course, with a time of 42.32, and third female overall. Cheryl Valentine was next for the club in 47.43, followed by Rachael Vincent in 49.21.
Club members also took on a variety of distances in the Weston Hospicecare Mendip Challenge. On the full 30-mile route, which takes in a series of punishing climbs and descents along the way, Phil Tomlinson was first club member back to Uphill in a time of about five hours, followed shortly afterwards by Marc Bostock.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Proposal for 96 new homes in Cheddar
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
Both men had already completed a 2.4 mile swim and a 101-mile bike ride in the two previous days, raising money for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
Sarah Styles, Bryan Morley, Gary Iles and Kevin Howell all finished the full distance in about six and a half hours, followed 20 minutes later by Kevin Hudson and Mark Hill. Gareth Weaver and Mark Gray also completed in a time of around eight hours.
Several members also took on the 10-mile route with Simon Andrews finishing first in 1.39. Mandy Nash, Laura Broderick, Kirsty Mangham, Julia Withers, Deb Allen, Julie Shergold, Sara Butcher and Vanessa Andrews all finished in about 2.12.
The club organises training and social runs throughout the summer and more information on becoming a member can be found at www.westonac.co.uk