MATCH REPORT: Four-goal hero Dayle Grubb helps Weston-super-Mare seal crucial win at home
- Credit: Archant
Weston enjoyed the perfect day as they swept aside Bishop’s Stortford 5-0 in the National League South today (Saturday), with four-goal hero Dayle Grubb deservedly earning the man of the match award.
It was a gloriously sunny afternoon at The Woodspring Stadium and it was an equally bright start for Weston as they took the lead after just eight minutes.
A short corner from Grubb found Brad Ash who played the ball back to the playmaker who slotted home with ease.
Grubb then added a second just five minutes later. Danny Greenslade broke free on the left and found Grubb in space who made no mistake with another good finish.
It was all Weston in the first half, with the visitors conceding a few silly free-kicks in frustration.
You may also want to watch:
But there was only one man who was going to make the headlines and that was Grubb who had his hat-trick within half an hour. He burst forward from a half-hearted Bishops backline and picked his spot from just outside the box.
His excellent finish was the best of the bunch and ensured Weston were well on their way to victory at the break.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 7 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 10 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
The second half then started as the first ended and it was Grubb again who earned the plaudits once again just three minutes in.
He ran through beating Emmanuel Adebowale and Darren Purse on his way and added his fourth with ease, celebrating in front of the home fans.
There was little for Stortford fans to cheer about with Luke Purnell merely a spectator for most of the match.
Weston could have added to their tally as substitute Jake Reid missed a golden opportunity on 63 minutes. Goalkeeper Harry Voss will count himself lucky the striker scuffed his shot with the goal gaping.
It was to get worse for the strugglers when Purse was sent off for two yellow cards – both for descent. And just minutes later Jack Williams was giving his marching orders for two cynical fouls, leaving them with a mountain to climb and just nine men on the pitch.
Weston were not quite finished though as Jake Reid decided to join in on the scoring. An excellent cross from Jason Pope found the striker who expertly headed home to ensure the Seagulls now sit seven points clear of the relegation zone.
The Seagulls host Margate on Friday, with the club offering a promotion which means you can watch the side for just £1.