Maximum points for Uphill
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club’s A team remain unbeaten in the league after whitewashing Clevedon Feathers B.
UPHILL A team hosted Clevedon Feathers B team in their second match of the season.
The team of Ellie Jewell, Paul Edwards, Christy Cole, Matt Cole, Becky Halfpenny and captain Mark Edwards all performed well and ran out 9-0 victors.
Both the first two mixed were won comfortably in two games to get the team off to a flying start. The closest rubber of the night came when the young pairing of Abi Kemp and Mike Armstrong proved a tough test for Becky and Mark, which the Uphill pair won in three.
In the ladies’ rubbers, Uphill’s trio proved too strong winning all three rubbers, with Ellie and Christy in destructive form. The men’s rubbers were also all won in two games with Paul starting to hit top form as the season progresses.
You may also want to watch:
This leaves Uphill at the top of the table with a maximum 22 points from their opening two games.
Uphill C travelled to take on Nailsea & Backwell, who were relegated last year from division 1.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 8 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
- 9 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 10 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
Missing captain Callum Grayson and lady Lauren Rickwood, Matt Valentine and Julie O’Sullivan stood in.
The first mixed was the closest of the three with Luke Morgan and O’Sullivan taking the first game before then going down in the next two. The next two mixed were both lost in straight games.
The ladies’ doubles proved a tough affair against a strong Nailsea trio, and despite their best efforts, Julie, Bethan and Maureen all went down in two games.
Number one man Luke Morgan was the star of the show winning both his men’s rubbers, firstly with Glyn Davis and then Matt Valentine to give Uphill their two points in a tough 7-2 defeat.