Mendip girls remain in second spot
- Credit: Archant
Team Mendip Red Sox returned from Avon Athletic with a 2-0 victory, their first match in nine weeks.
Team Mendip Red Sox travelled to Avon Athletic for their first league game in nine weeks and came away with a 2-0 victory.
Playing on a heavy pitch, the girls started playing great football with the front three of Bonnie Gready, Erin Hale and Jennie Habbits linking up well.
It wasn’t long before Mendip took the lead when Emily Mitchell scored, smashing the ball into roof of the net after the home side failed to clear from a corner.
The second half saw Mendip come under some pressure and they defended exceptionally well with Tara Young, Bayley Farrow and Maisie Lynn keeping Avon Athletic out.
You may also want to watch:
The midfield of Alysha Forsbrook and Dannye Fear were full of running and this culminated in Mendip effectively putting the game to bed when Lilly Stephens found the back of the net with a fine shot from outside the Avon box.
It was an excellent performance from the girls and it leaves Mendip in second place in the league with two games to go.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 3 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 4 RNLI believes return to Birnbeck Island 'the most credible option' for Weston
- 5 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 6 Worle opticians wins award
- 7 Housing groups preparing application to build medical centre in village
- 8 Wrington store nominated for best in South West
- 9 Cardiff City recall James Waite from loan spell with Weston
- 10 Weston woman celebrates 105th birthday
The Parents Health & Safety Consultants Ltd player of the match went to Nikita Monk.