Mendip members make their mark in Yorkshire
MODEL CAR RACING - SIX members of Weston's Mendip Model Racing Club competed in the second round of the British national 1/8 scale nitro engine circuit racing series which was held at the Halifax track in Yorkshire.
SIX members of Weston's Mendip Model Racing Club braved the unsettled weather last weekend to compete in the second round of the British national 1/8 scale nitro engine circuit racing series which was held at the Halifax track in Yorkshire.
Fifty of the country's top radio control racers entered the two-day event which is the equivalent of Formula 1 of the radio control model car world. Saturday is free practice day, a chance to find the limits of the circuit and set the cars up for racing the following day.
Sunday dawned bright and sunny however that was not to last long before showers hampered tyre choice for most of the qualifying heats. With a heavy downpour at the end of the heats, the race director declared the finals officially "wet race conditions" which triggers the signal for drivers to change their car set-ups to cope with wet weather racing.
Finals are run in groups of 10 cars with an A final being the fastest 10 qualifiers on the day. The D final lined up with Mendip members Dave Leach and Mike Manning among the grid. Mike getting a fair amount of grip to bring his car home to a podium third place with Dave Leach doing well to bring his car home to fourth place on tyres that were not the best for the conditions. Mendip's Iain Milford did not have the best of days and retired from the event before the finals
You may also want to watch:
Mendip's Dave Jones and Rob Mckenna were in the C final with Rob's consistent driving in the conditions on his first visit to a circuit other than Mendip, taking him from the back of the grid through to a well deserved victory.
Dave followed him home in second position two laps down. Mendip's up and coming young driver, 17-year-old Ashley Gouveia lined up in pole position for the B final and led the field from start to finish, to notch up a brilliant win and points that will keep him within striking distance inside the top 10 of the championship.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 4 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
BRCA 1/8 Round 2, Halifax results, Mendip members: 1, B final, Ashley Gouveia, Serpent 966; 1, C final, Rob Mckenna, Serpent 966; 2, C final, Dave Jones, Kyosho Evolva; 3, D final, Mike Manning, Serpent 966; 4, D final, Dave Leach, Shepherd Velox.
Round 3 of the national series heads back up to Yorkshire in two weeks time to the Wombwell circuit on May 30 and 31. Meanwhile Mendip's own club championship re convenes this coming Sunday, May 24. All spectators are welcome to the circuit at Accommodation Road, Bleadon, with admission free. See www.MMMRC.org for further details.