Mendip Spring duo win trip to Mexico
Mendip pring Golf Club amateur Mike Edwards and PGA professional John Blackburn are flying to Mexico after winning the Virgin Atlantic PGA National Pro-Am Championship qualifying event at Saunton.
MENDIP Spring Golf Club amateur Mike Edwards and PGA professional John Blackburn are flying to Mexico after winning the Virgin Atlantic PGA National Pro-Am Championship qualifying event at Saunton.
Edwards and Blackburn carded a five under par round of 66 to win by two shots ahead of Andy Pye and Chay Hughes of Portmore Golf Park in Devon.
The North Somerset-based pair have booked a place in the SkyCaddie and BMW supported �30,000 final which will be held at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort at Cancun in Mexico in December.
Edwards, 56, who works in the golf shop at Mendip Spring and plays off 12, has only been playing for four years. He said: “We played well, but dropped a shot at the 18th so I was a bit sceptical about whether we’d done enough.”
You may also want to watch:
Blackburn added: “Getting to Mexico is wonderful - Tequila here we come. I think it’s fair to say we got the best of any good weather that was going.
“I think the closest I’ve come to getting to the final was in 1994, but I also had a near miss last year.”
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 8 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 9 Have your say on health services in Somerset
- 10 Mass rollout of Oxford vaccine begins in North Somerset