Mike is top marksman
CHEDDAR Valley Rifle Club won Division B in the Ulster Counties 50m League, going unbeaten throughout the season.
In the individual matches, Mike Griffin was second in Division 2 and Ruth Bell won Division 8.
Seven competitors entered the Somerset county individual 25 yard event and Griffin was best placed in third position in Division 1.
In the Somerset open over 50m/100m, Griffin was second in Class X and was the top county marksman on the day. Partnered with Keith Thickett, they were second in the pairs match, and the Cheddar team of Griffin, Thickett, Bell and Simon Ellis won the Long Range Shield.
Three members entered the Chippenham 50m open and Griffin recorded an individual win and a pairs win with Thickett. Griffin also won the veteran’s event in the Doug Grierson Memorial 50m Open, with Ellis taking third.
You may also want to watch:
The Cheddar team representing Somerset came 14th out of 19 in the Astor County Team Cup competition at Bisley. Team members were Griffin, Thickett, Bell, Trevor Paisey, Dave Oatley and Alex Thwaite.
In the Champions of Champions event at Bisley, Griffin, representing Somerset, was well placed in ninth position against 29 other county champions.
- 1 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 2 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 3 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 4 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 7 Mother launches fundraising challenge as she battles cancer
- 8 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 9 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
At the Chippenham 50m/100 yards competition, Griffin and Thickett were second in the pairs and Griffin won the veterans event.
In the Somerset Major Hutchinson 50m/100 yard open, Thickett won Class X, Thwaite was third in Class A. Griffin was the leading Somerset shooter and will compete again in the Champions of Champions match at Bisley in 2011.
Cheddar won the Astor County Team Cup and will return to Bisley next year representing Somerset.
Cheddar Valley Rifle Club is an established and fully approved .22 calibre target rifle shooting club with their own 25 yard indoor range in the village. New members are welcome and all equipment is provided. The club is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings between 7.30-11pm.
For more information and details of membership, please contact the secretary on 01934 518098.