Mini tournament beats the weather
CHEDDAR Tennis Club hosted a successful mini orange tournament for under nines just before the severe weather set in.
Five players from Winscombe, Wells and Burnham took part in the round robin event, which was organised by club coach Stephen Pearce.
After some close matches, top seed Oliver Punt of Burnham emerged unbeaten as the winner, with Luke Collier and William Ford, both from Winscombe, second and third respectively. All the players received certificates and medals.
Cheddar’s junior coaching is continuing through the winter with mini tennis red and orange after school on Fridays now taking place indoors at Cheddar First School, to avoid any cancellations. Mini green and yellow ball tennis is on the club’s courts at Sharpham Road playing fields.
On the senior side, Cheddar’s players have achieved good success to date in the North Somerset Winter League. The A team lies third in Division 2, having beaten Bridgwater B, Woodlands B and Clevedon B. The B team is currently fifth in Division 4, with wins over Avenue B and Backwell A, and the C team is top of Division 7, having beaten Wrington B, Avenue C, Taunton C and Bridgwater D.
You may also want to watch:
In the veteran’s division, Cheddar has played only one match, coming out on top against Wedmore.
The club’s next social event is their annual Christmas punch-up with mulled wine, mince pies and tennis on December 27. For all information about the club, contact secretary Jennie Colton 01934 742703.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 5 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 6 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 7 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 8 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 9 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival