Mixed doubles tournament at Uphill
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club held a successful annual mixed doubles handicapped tournament.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s annual mixed doubles handicapped tournament was played at the end of the season.
The tournament was split into two parts with two separate nights of competition, each producing finalists with the two winning pairs playing each other in a grand final.
In the first block, the top four pairs making up the semi-final up were Nigel Judge and Becky Halfpenny (+4) v Billy Fear and Dannie Stone (-1) and Mark Edwards and Emily Look (-7) v Tom Higgins and Jessica Hargrave (-2).
The first semi saw Billy and Dannie overcome a five-point deficit to win 21-15. The second semi-final also saw Mark and Emily overcome a five-point deficit with a dominant display of badminton winning 21-11.
You may also want to watch:
The second section saw the top four pairs making up the semi-final line up, which were box winners Paul Edwards and Lauren Rickwood (-8) v Luke Morgan and Jessica Hargrave (-2), with Rohan Weekes and Maureen Matthews (-2) taking on Ryan Collins and Emily Page-Symonds (+3).
The first semi saw hot favourites Lauren and Paul win with a convincing scoreline of 21-16 and the second semi-final producing a nail biting win for Rohan and Maureen 21-20.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 5 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 Grant to provide accommodation for rough sleepers in North Somerset
This set up the second part final which was a tense game between Lauren and Paul and Maureen and Rohan, which went point for point all the way to 16-16. Rohan and Maureen then edged a few close rallies and ran out 21-17 winners.
The grand final was set up between Maureen and Rohan (-2) and Emily and Mark (-7). The game began well for Mark and Emily, but with Rohan’s superb court coverage helping Maureen to cover the net play, Maureen and Rohan ran out 21-18 winners.
Cup winners were presented at the AGM as follows - Minchington points trophy (lady winning most points in ladies’ and mixed tournaments): Lauren Rickwood, runner-up Emily Page-Symonds. Slimeridge points Shield (man winning most points in men’s and mixed tournaments): Mark Edwards, Paul Edwards.
Roy Curry Trophy (clubman of year): Billy Fear.Junior top shot (junior playing in senior league teams who won most games): Luke Morgan.
Although the winter season has ended, Uphill Badminton Club run a summer club which is open to other players on a Thursday evening (pay on the night) from 8-10pm at Hans Price Academy Sports Centre.