Mixed tournament held at Uphill
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club’s popular mixed tournament was held over two nights.
The popular end-of-season Uphill mixed tournament was held over two nights with eight pairs taking part on each night.
The first half of the tournament saw a round robin box format with the top four pairs making it through to the semi-finals. After a hotly contested round, Paul and Juju took on Robin and Anna B, with Kate and Billy against Bethan and Tony in the other semi.
Both matches were keenly contested with Paul and Julie winning a tight match 21-18 and Billy and Kate coming through 21-17. The night’s final saw Paul and Julie dominate from the start to win comfortably 21-10.
The second night was no less competitive with another eight pairs going head to head. The top four pairs on the night left a semi-final line up of Mark Edwards and Emily Look against Raymond Lee and Maureen Matthews, and Bill Ponting and Lauren Rickwood versus Rob Morray and Emily Page-Symonds.
You may also want to watch:
Both semis were keenly contested with Mark and Emily winning a thriller 21-20 and Rob and Emily beating Bill and Lauren 21-17.
The final was a close affair initially with Mark and Emily clawing back their handicap deficit to be level by 10-10, but Rob and Emily forged ahead to take the game 21-14.
- 1 Businesses refused to reopen after lockdown due to staff safety fears in Weston town centre
- 2 Weston family who had home transformed featured on DIY SOS
- 3 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 4 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 5 Winter Gardens set to open newly refurbished eatery
- 6 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 9 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
The final saw Rob and Emily (-3) take on Paul and Julie (-8). A tactical final ensued with Paul never quite being able to dominate. Rob and Emily held their handicap for much of the match before running out 21-18 winners to take the title.
Thanks were given to Robin for his organisation on both nights.