More qualifications for Avenue’s Craig
Craig Phillips passes his third British Lawn Tennis Association club coach qualification.
CRAIG Phillips, from Brean, has now passed his third British Lawn Tennis Association club coach qualification.
Craig has also been training hard recently and his hard work paid off when he and his doubles partner, Bruce Wheatley, won their way through to the UK National Doubles League finals.
They came up against some of the best players in the UK and although they did not win their matches they did take the No 1 pair to a first set tie breaker and narrowly lost the second set.
On Sunday, Craig will be playing a National League match against Esporta Poole in the Aegon National League for Taunton at the Avenue Tennis Club from 12noon and all are invited to watch some fantastic singles and doubles tennis.
You may also want to watch:
The team compete in the South West Group of National League 1 and have started the season with a win against David Lloyd, Bristol and a loss against Winchester.
During this weekend the Junior Road to Wimbledon competition will also take place for those under 14s who will compete for the chance to play at Wimbledon, contact Barry Ramsden for details.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 5 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
The next Red (Under-8) and Orange Ball (eight to Under-10s) tournament at the Avenue Tennis Club is on May 15 at 11am. The next Sunday social session will be on FA Cup final day on May 14 from 12.30-3pm when the FA Cup final will be on the club’s large screen.
Junior coaching sessions are available at the Avenue every night of the week and on Saturdays from 9am-2.30pm for all age groups and standards. Adult coaching is available for beginners/returners to the game on Friday nights (6.30-8pm) and for players who have played before on a Thursday (7.15-9.15pm).
If you just want to keep fit hitting tennis balls then why not try out cardio tennis on a Wednesday evening from 7.30-8.30pm. Details of coaching can be obtained from the club’s website (www.avenuetennis.com) or you can ring the club on 01278 782758.