Nailsea duo win pairs event at Winscombe
Cheddar’s domination of ladies’ doubles tournament at Winscombe is ended by Nailsea pair.
PLAYERS from 10 clubs in the North Somerset Tennis League competed in the annual ladies’ doubles tournament, which proved a major disappointment for Cheddar which has dominated the event for four years.
Instead of taking home the silver trophy, their two pairs could not get beyond the semi-finals, despite hard-fought games. Winning finalists were Lucy Linham and Lucy Emery from Nailsea, who narrowly defeated Jude Kaye and Katherine Tilke, from Minehead.
The tournament has been running for 12 years and was staged yet again at Winscombe Tennis Club. Organiser Ruth Angelinetta said: “We saw some incredibly competitive tennis and fantastic weather. It has become a really popular event and there is no doubt that the standard improves every year.”
Watched by a large crowd of spectators, the prizes were presented by league veteran Liz Yeo.
You may also want to watch:
The previous week, Winscombe was also the venue for the league’s annual men’s tournament, which attracted players from seven clubs across Somerset and North Somerset.
Winners Jamie Allen (Weston) and Chris Wheeler (Woodlands) beat Rob Grimshaw (Lympsham) and Steve Halls (Lympsham and Cheddar) in a closely contested game.
- 1 Businesses refused to reopen after lockdown due to staff safety fears in Weston town centre
- 2 Weston family who had home transformed featured on DIY SOS
- 3 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 4 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 5 Winter Gardens set to open newly refurbished eatery
- 6 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 9 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3