Narrow cup final victory for Wayfarers
TABLE TENNIS - WINSCOMBE Wayfarers and Totterdown Flamingos had tough semi-finals to get through on their way to meeting in the final of the Archdale Cup.
WINSCOMBE Wayfarers and Totterdown Flamingos, on their way to meeting in the final of the Archdale Cup, had tough semi-finals to get through.
Wayfarers, in a close contest with Totterdown C saw Rich Parker (10) clinch the match 5-4 by beating Totterdown's Rick Cross (9) 12 and 15 in the final set.
Totterdown Flamingos' semi-final was against Division 1's Winscombe Renegades who found their handicaps too much of a hurdle to overcome, Flamingos winning 8-1. Gary Cattermole (-3) had Renegades sole success, beating Nigel Andrews (9) in a hard three setter.
This left the Archdale final between Wayfarers and Flamingos third and fourth in Division 2, as one of the best seen for several years, the players friends and rivals over many years.
You may also want to watch:
The match started with newcomer to Flamingos Graham Cheeseman (10) against Rich Parker in the match of the evening with great hitting and retrieving ending with Cheeseman winning in three.
Flamingos' Nigel Andrews (9) took on Simon Kneeshaw (10) and was unable to quite capture the form what has seen him win the averages trophy this season losing to Kneeshaw 21-10 in the second.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 3 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 4 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 7 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 8 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 9 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 10 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
Wayfarers' Phil Yates (11) then lost to Roger Bowden (12) in three. With Kneeshaw losing to Cheeseman and Parker to Bowden Flamingos were 4-1 up. Yates turned the match around with an 18 and 16 win over Andrews.
Kneeshaw played a controlled game against Bowden winning in two, but with Yates, Wayfarers' player No 3, coming up against Cheeseman, the contest looked all over, but Yates played out of his skin to win 13 and 19, four games each. The match going to the final game it was left to Parker to pull out all the stops, winning against Andrews and making Wayfarers winners of the Archdale.