Narrow defeat for Winscombe
Winscombe lost their opening Somerset Premier League fixture by just two points at Gordano.
Gordano 25 pts
Winscombe 23 pts
WINSCOMBE began their Somerset Premier League season with a trip to Gordano.
Owen Howell, aided by the breeze, struck a penalty from 45 metres to give Winscombe a 3-0 lead after five minutes. The visitors extended their lead when Simon Thompson arrived at a ruck at pace and crossed under the posts, for Howell to convert.
You may also want to watch:
Good work at a line-out by Higginbottom led to another penalty for Winscombe. Howell again kicked a long range penalty for a 13-0 lead. Gordano replied with a try right on half-time.
After the break, a missed kick to touch gave the hosts a chance to reduced the deficit. The conversion closed to gap to just one point. The restart went directly into touch and from the resulting scrum, Gordano crossed again to lead 19-13.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 7 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
Then came the highlight of the match. Hooper was collared at the base of the scrum, but managed to flick the ball up to No 8 Ollie Jones, who squeezed up the tramlines to set up a ruck just outside the 22.
Howell picked up and set up another ruck from which House outpaced the defence and score under the posts. The conversion by Howell put Winscombe back into the lead at 19-20.
A penalty for Gordano saw them take a two point lead, before Howell put Winscombe in front again with another penalty. Gordano won the game with another penalty late in the half.