Narrow defeat for Yatton
Chosen Hill 32 pts Yatton 24 pts - YATTON travelled with some golden oldies in the squad and these heros of yesteryear finished in a close game.
Chosen Hill 32 pts
Yatton 24 pts
YATTON travelled with some golden oldies in the squad and these heros of yesteryear finished in a close game.
With the slope and strong wind in their favour it was not unexpected that a Yatton penalty should be the first points on the board. But the home side hit back when their dangerman Andy King charged down a routine 22 dropout for centre Martin Roberts to pounce for an unconverted try.
You may also want to watch:
The remainder of the first quarter saw Yatton depend upon Sam Osborne's boot, which gave him a 60 yard wind assisted second penalty conversion and a third penalty at 20 minutes, clawing back the lead.
Two minutes later, the younger and faster home forwards displayed passing skills and second row Marc Riddel dummied under the posts for an easy conversion. Minutes later Chosen's tighthead prop was yellow carded.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 New leadership team for charity
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Ironically with all in their favour and attacking well within Chosen's territory it was a sloppy pass which enable that man King again, this time to intercept and ship the ball to his winger. King added the conversion from way out. Five minutes later, another Osborne penalty pulled the scoreline to within a converted try of the home side's total.
During first half injury time, Osborne's breakthrough finished with centre Mike Harris grounding the ball to be just two points behind.
In the third quarter, the game swung from end to end, but Chosen Hill picked up two penalties during which a Yatton rolling maul knocked on at the tryline.
Minutes before full time, Chosen's back division clicked and the converted try seemed to put the outcome beyond doubt. As they did at the end of the first half Yatton stuck at it and after a series of infringements and scrums within the visitors 22 Chris Harris grounded the ball for Osborne to convert. But Chosen Hill had achieved their second win of the season and Yatton were left still seeking their first.
This Saturday, Yatton 1st XV are at home to Sidmouth who, like Yatton, have not yet achieved a win this season. Vice-presidents lunch at 1.30pm, kick-off 3pm. The 2nds visit Old Redcliffians 3rds and Yatton 3rds travel to the outskirts of Bath to face Stothert and Pitt 2nds.
On Sunday, Yatton Diamonds are scheduled away against St Marys. The Colts have a friendly away to Ivel. The Under-17s meet Frampton Cottrell at home, the Under-15s go to Dings and the Under-13s to St Brendans The Midis and Minis are all involved in training.