Narrow victory for ladies in derby
Hornettes ladies defeat Gordano in a closely-fought encounter.
HORNETTES ladies travelled to Gordano for their penultimate game of the league season.
The visitors took the lead when Beth Ryall made a crunching tackle, causing a turnover which she picked up and broke the Gordano line before setting up Amy Attree to score in the corner.
Gordano took advantage of some Hornets indiscipline and scored under the posts to take a 7-5 lead. Just before half-time, MJ Jenkins ran 50 metres up the pitch, but was eventually tackled just short of the line.
After the break, good work by Emma Small, Claire Hixon, Sinead Boys and Tanya Carver-Cox earned a penalty. Kerrianne Williams took a quick tap and offloaded to Beth Ryall to give Hornets the lead.
You may also want to watch:
A good break by Kim Sweeting set up the next try for Sara Curtis to extend the lead. Gordano replied with a period of pressure, but good defence by Laura Clarke, Donna Janes and MJ Jenkins helped to relieve the pressure.
More good work led to Small crashing over the line to score from short range. Laura Clark kicked the conversion to take the final score to 7-22.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 9 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
Anyone interested in playing for the ladies, please contact Emma on 07429 868505 or e-mail Emma on email@example.com