Narrow victory for Uphill team
Uphill Badminton Club started the new season with a narrow victory for the B team.
UPHILL B team travelled to Frys for their first match of the season.
The first two mixed rubbers gave Frys a 2-0 lead with Louise Knight and Matt Cleaver beating Uphill’s Emily Page-Symonds and Robin Curry in three games, but
Uphill won the third mixed to make it 2-1.
Frys’ Louise Knight won all her ladies’ rubbers, pairing with Anne Lowry and Jane Guy.
You may also want to watch:
The Uphill pairings of Robin Curry and captain Rob Morray and Billy Fear partnering Curry, won their matches, leaving the match 4-3 in Frys favour.
The Uphill ladies’ pairing of Becky Farnhoffer and Teresa Lloyd won in three games against Anne Lowry and Jane Guy winning, making the match balanced at four rubbers each.
- 1 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 2 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 3 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 4 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 5 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 6 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 7 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 8 Chef with Michelin star experience shares 'ultimate winters seafood' recipe
- 9 Secondary school to expand to allow 900 more pupils
- 10 School producing science champions
The final rubber was a nail-biting affair that went to three games. The Uphill pairing of Morray and Fear won in three games to win the match 5-4. Special mention to Billy Fear of Uphill, who won all three of his rubbers.
It was a different story when Uphill men’s team played away to Mendipway at Wells. Mendipway began their league campaign as true champions, outpowering and outplaying Uphill.
The Uphill team of Ian Gilmore, captain Bill Ponting, Tony Wilshire-Day and Keith Higgins served well, but did not keep the rallies going by making too many unforced errors.
All rubbers were won in two games, Uphill losing six rubbers to nil.