Near perfect conditions for running
Near perfect running conditions met athletes taking part in the latest Prom Series run in Weston.
A LIGHT breeze, cool air and dry night presented almost perfect race conditions for the Weston AC runners taking part in the club’s second race of the Prom Run series.
Three half marathons in the last month have apparently not exhausted club front-runner Chris Old, who romped home second overall in 27.17, just seconds behind the overall winner.
Dominic Taylor-Jones was the next Weston runner over the line in 28.48, followed by Kieron Summers in 29.53, both earning new fastest times. First three Weston females to finish were Phil Richards in 33.07, Kira Thorpe in 36.56 and Tamara Bourne in 37.12
The settled race conditions also provided plenty of opportunity for race regulars to aim for personal best times, and Weston members did not disappoint. Andy Chadburn had been trying for a year to beat his previous best time, and finally nailed it by three seconds at 33.15.
You may also want to watch:
The ever-faster Nick Cook set himself a target for next month in 36.06, and Mandy Nash, Rachel Hedges and Julie Shergold challenged each other all the way to the line all achieving new PBs in 43.22, 43.24 and 43.43, respectively.
It was a good night for the junior runners too, with 37 taking on the one mile race and showing huge promise as future champions. Henry Cox won the race in 5.55 with William Fuller, Lucy Maine and Joe Withers just seconds behind.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 5 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 9 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 10 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
The next five-mile Prom Run in the series takes place on November 28 at 7.30pm, preceded by the one-mile race at 6.45pm, which is free for under-16s.
More information about race entries and all the club’s other activities can be found on the club’s website at www.westonac.co.uk