New chairman takes over at Weston
- Credit: MATT AUSTIN
Rob Duckett has taken over as chairman of Weston Hockey Club.
WESTON Hockey Club is about to embark on what is hoped to be a successful season.
Rob Duckett has recently taken over as chairman of the club and is looking to oversee the success and development of the club.
Rob started playing hockey for Weston 35 years ago and said: “It is a great honour to chair this club, we are now looking to rebuild this club to restore the glory from yesteryear.”
The men’s XI is hoping for a strong year in the Tier 7 of the Davis Wood Hockey League. Unfortunately, they have lost a few players to university, but have been boosted by the return of Sam Neate, who will be captain, from Firebrands and Nathan Hancock from Team Bath Buccaneers, as well as the continuation of the senior players who have served the club well over the years.
You may also want to watch:
The ladies 1st XI, again captained by Charlotte Crandon, will also be looking for success on the pitch this year, after a tough season last year.
With no players being brought in, the captain is confident with the squad she has at her disposal and hopefully will include several 2nd XI promotions.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 3 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 4 RNLI believes return to Birnbeck Island 'the most credible option' for Weston
- 5 Worle opticians wins award
- 6 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 7 Wrington store nominated for best in South West
- 8 Cardiff City recall James Waite from loan spell with Weston
- 9 Housing groups preparing application to build medical centre in village
- 10 Weston woman celebrates 105th birthday
The 2nd XI is led this year by Stacie Godfrey, who is new to the role, but again is keen to build on last year’s good finish. The club are hoping to see as many youngsters as possible make the step up to senior hockey.
The club would like to thank Mercedes Benz of Weston for their fantastic support over the past couple of years and look forward to continuing the partnership. They would also like to acknowledge the support of Dench Fitness, who have been instrumental in helping the team reach their fitness goals.
The club are always on the lookout for more players, all abilities welcome to training. Please visit its website at www.weston-super-mare-hockey.org.uk or just turn up to training on Wednesday evenings at Priory School (6.30-8.30pm).
The club has a fantastic youth set up in which more are always welcome. Training is on Sunday mornings (10-11.30am) on the Astro at Priory School.