New mixed teams wanted
- Credit: Archant
New teams are wanted for the Weston Mixed Cribbage League.
WESTON Mixed Cribbage League is looking for new teams for next season.
Matches start at 8.15pm and are played on Thursday evenings, from August to April/May. Teams require a minimum of eight players for four tables.
If you have a venue that can support a cribbage team within the Weston area, please contact the secretary on 01934 418104 or the chairman on 01934 629094.
The AGM will be held on April 29 at the Social Club, Devonshire Road, Weston, and a representative of each team (including new teams) must attend at 8pm to register their team for the forthcoming season.
You may also want to watch:
The league started in 1980 when Rachael Wilson attended the AGM of the men’s cribbage league and persuaded them to accept ladies. This enabled landlords, who did not have enough men interested in playing cribbage, to field a team which included ladies.
The first season was a success with 32 teams in all, there being two Divisions.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
However, at the following AGM the men voted against ladies playing and so Clive Eddy (landlord of the Heron, which has since reverted to its original name of the Borough Arms), John Steel and Les Farrow of the Ancaster and Maurice Blundell of the Windsor Castle, decided to form a mixed cribbage league.
Kipper Dunston was voted in as the chairman, Les Farrow as vice-chairman, Maurice Blundell the treasurer and Kay Donnelly as secretary. The league therefore came into being in 1981/82 and has been running successfully since then.
Courage Breweries sponsored the league, donating the League Champions’ Cup and the runners-up shield. Various other companies in Weston have donated the other trophies.
WESTON Men’s Cribbage League:
W D L Pts
Services 17 3 4 134
Bristol Hotel 12 7 6 114
Working Men’s A 14 1 9 113
Raddys 14 1 9 109
49 Club 12 2 10 104
Weston Golf Club 10 6 8 103
Regency A 10 4 11 98
Criterion 10 3 11 95
Baker St Boys 9 6 10 94
New Inn, Kewstoke 12 1 11 94
Old Kings Head 9 4 11 91
Working Men’s B 8 4 12 87
Conservative Club 6 4 14 80
Regency B 7 3 14 75
Charles Dickens 6 3 15 65