Nomads Sport win through to the next round of the cup

Burnham United Under-11s.

Burnham United Under-11s. - Credit: Archant

Newly-formed Milton Nomads Sport defeated Winscombe Colts in a thrilling cup tie.

HAVING only formed as a new Under-11s team over the summer months, Milton Nomads Sport, travelled to Winscombe Colts for a thrilling and good spirited second round WJFL cup-tie.

Winscombe scored the first goal of the game with a low powerful shot finding the back of the net. Nomads Sport rallied and it was not long until Lewis Sloan levelled the scores.

Nomads’ solid defence of Tyler Ball, Dan Neville and Declan Hall pushed forward with confidence into the Wincombe half and the midfield of Ben Watts, Oliver Dudley and Jasper Carr built up the pressure.

A cross from Lewis Sloan was judged perfectly by Luke Townley, who slid the ball home to give Nomads the lead at half-time.

You may also want to watch:

A team talk from Nomads’ manager John Ball, and well-timed substitutions, welcomed the fresh legs of Harley Selway, Liam Bastin and Reegan Olley, all of which gave their season best performances.

Throughout the second half, Winscombe continued to test keeper Jamie Gallivan, but he made several excellent saves. With just seconds left on the clock, man of the match and captain Ben Watts, made a dramatic goal line clearance to secure Nomads’ passage through to the next round of the cup.

Most Read

PRIORY Pumas Under-15s went top of the league for the first time this season and stretched their unbeaten streak to 18 games, thanks to goals either side of half-time from Adam Woolley.

It was the hosts that put Clevedon under pressure early on with several chances thanks to creative work from Matt Morteo, Taylor Aspinall and Carter Box. Woolley scored a composed finish just before the break.

In the second half, both Jonny Hale and Joe Calvert returned to the team and put in good performances at the heart of defence. Harry Beresford and Finley Hardy also put in good performances in their defensive roles, as did Thomas Turek in goal, who kept his second clean sheet of the season.

With about 20 minutes to go, Woolley added his name to the score sheet again as Pumas moved a point clear at the top of the table.

The Under-8s agreed with Yatton to play two equal teams, but thing did not work out so well, with Yatton winning the first match 6-1, with Zach scoring the only goal after great passing between Kieran, Isaac and Zach.

The second game was also one-sided with Priory Pumas winning 9-2. There were four goals each for Jesse and player of the day Jacob T as well as an own goal.

The Under-11s swept aside Clevedon United Youth 11-0 to progress to the third round of the KO Cup.

It took less than two minutes for the home side to register on the score sheet thanks to a fine finish from Stephen, before Ethan H quickly doubled Pumas’ lead with a long-range effort.

A fine run from midfield and composed finish by William made it three, while Joel scored his first of the game before the interval.

The second period saw Pumas play some excellent football with William’s passing instrumental and a number of fine combinations between Billy, Jack and Callum.

The goals flooded opened for the home side as Callum notched a brace and Ethan H added his second, while Joel added another four to take his tally to five for the game.

Good wing play from Jack saw him assist a number of these goals, while Ben was unlucky not to score himself. Stephen linked play well throughout and Billy had a fine game.

Morgan and Ethan C nullified any potential threat throughout and distributed the ball well. In the home goal, James had an untroubled game, but was called upon to make a fine save midway through the second half to keep his clean sheet intact.

The player of the match award went to Jack.

Long Ashton deservedly went through to the next round of the cup despite Pumas’ United Under-11s best efforts. Long Ashton took an early lead, before Harvey cleared off the line.

Keeper Jake made an outstanding triple save to keep Pumas in the game, but Long Ashton scored again to double their lead and scored two more before the break.

After half-time, Pumas came out fighting and Ollie and Jake J played some excellent football. In the end Long Ashton were too strong for Pumas and it finished at 10-0.

Man of the Match went to JJ.

Unbeaten Pumas Under-12s welcomed Yatton Athletic for a Division 2 match and scored when Ellis hit a 30-yarder into top corner after only five minutes. It was quickly followed with a double from Kieran and another from Dan.

The midfield of Levi and Chad, plus support from wing backs Ellis and Tavis saw free-flowing pass and move football at its best.

Yatton pulled one back, but after some strong defending from Connor and Matthew, and a good kick out from the cat Joseph in goal, the ball fell to Kieran, to complete his third hat-trick of the season and go into half-time 5-1 up.

After the break, Yatton scored a second, but Pumas scored two more goals through Connor and a second for Dan to make the final score 7-2. Man of match was Levi.

The Under-16s showed tremendous tenacity in a narrow defeat to one of the best teams in Division 1, Portishead.

Keeper Taylor pulled off several fantastic saves and was well protected by a back four of Reece, Jake, Kallum, Stokesy and Ghandy.

In midfield, Frenchy broke up numerous attack, while Jacko and Ingie worked tirelessly, providing striker Luke with great service up- front. With Maccer and Branni out wide giving Pumas pace and width, supplemented by Elliott and Monster, it was a fine all-round team performance.

Pumas had the better of the game, were incisive with their passing and movement and for the last 20 minutes enjoyed several near misses as Portishead spent the last 10 minutes on the back foot.

Man of the match went to every single one of the players for a great performance.

WESTON Town Under-15s first league match on home turf was to entertain Banwell and they did just that.

New signing Ben Meakin took over in goal and the manager started with a 4-5-1 formation with Sam Quick, Jack Pearce Herzberg, Cameron Robbins Will and Jordan Dyer forming the back four. Midfield took a familiar shape with Joe Kelly, Owen Kent, Will Hazelton and Thomas Galliers with Harry Crowley dropping back from his normal striking role. Sam Webb was Weston’s sole striker.

After a goal-less first-half, Weston had the advantage of the wind and played some route one football to find a goal. It worked as Joe Kelly scored from outside of the penalty area.

Weston had further chances to put the game out of Banwell’s reach, with Sam Webb

The Under-13s travelled to Clevedon and came away with an excellent 5-1 victory. The hosts opened the scoring, but Town hit back with chances for Bambury and Thomas before Kelly equalised.

A few minutes later, Thomas put Heal through to give Weston the lead and a minute later, Heal turned provider, allowing Large a tap-in. An in-swinging corner from Heal found Large with a free header to make it 4-1.

In the second half, Weston turned up another few gears, Pritchet and Kelly began to dominate with Heal and Thomas creating everything going forward. The defence began to sort itself out with Sharp, Murphy and the returning Manaton all performing strongly.

After several opportunities Weston scored again as Thomas laid the ball to Heal, who finished well.

Special mention to Swires, Maidment and Grimes for their battling, Bambury for his hold-up play and Silcox for some fine passing and skills. Man of the match went to Pritchet.

UPHILL Castle Under-16s took on second-placed St George and finished up losing 8-6 in a thrilling match.

Uphill started well, with Elliman’s corner finished off by Chamberlain. Poor defending saw Uphill concede three goals before McKenna supplied Elliman to reduce the deficit before the break.

After the break, Uphill scored one and conceded four quick goals, before an Elliman penalty and a Chamberlain goal reduced it to 5-7. St George sealed victory with their eighth goal, before Uphill made it 6-8 with Bromly drilling a ball past the keeper. Seymour Roofing man of the match was Alex Coghlan.

WESTON Crusaders Under-14s travelled to Martock to play in the first round of the Lewin Cup and came away with a 4-2 win.

Crusaders started well and Frazer Linnitt scored the first goal for Crusaders, which was quickly equalised by Martock. The game stayed 1-1 through the first-half with some excellent saves from Daniel Layden.

During the second half, Layden again made some excellent saves, especially when Crusaders were down to just 10 men. Crusaders scored three goals through Matthew Hayden, Daniel Ferguson and Brandon Sweeting, before Martock were awarded a penalty, making the final score 4-2.

Man of the match was shared between Daniel Layden and Nathan Lamminman.

Priory Rangers Under-11s were delighted to receive training jackets from local business Belgrave Design Solutions Ltd, their support until 2016 is also hugely appreciated.

Hutton Under-12s pictured with the hoodies, which has been kindly sponsored by 2IT Systems, along with Rich Perry, a partner of the firm.

Burnham United Juniors Under-11s who play in the Woodspring Junior League, wearing their new kit which was kindly sponsored by Co-operative Funeralcare of

Burnham. In the picture are: Nathan, Louie, Dylan, Joe, Haiden, Riley, Mace, Jordan Dan, Harry, Luke, Mike Osborne (manager), Luke Hussy (coach) and Julie McCarthy (Co-operative Funeralcare).

Burnham United Under-16s, the current Woodspring Division 1 champions, pictured wearing their new kit which was kindly sponsored by Burnham Plastering & Drylining Ltd. In the picture are: Harry, Brandon, Fernando, Paul, Jack, Morgan, Ryan, Jack, Connor, Jordan, Finlay, Zak, John Spence (manager) and Andrew Paul (coach).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter