North Somerset see off Weston rivals in tough county cup semi-final clash

PUBLISHED: 17:00 06 February 2019

Scott Mills scores North Somerset's second goal against Weston

Scott Mills scores North Somerset's second goal against Weston


North Somerset got the better of Weston in their Somerset Cup semi-final at Gordano Schoool to earn a place in the final at Taunton on April 7.

Matt Mills scores North Somerset's first goal against WestonMatt Mills scores North Somerset's first goal against Weston

The match was moved from the frozen Priory School pitch at late notice but both sides had plenty of vocal support for their derby.

Without James Mosley and Rich Pugsley, North had Scott Mills and Charlie Dangerfield back in their squad and began well.

Weston worked hard to put North under pressure, with both sides probing for openings during some finely balanced exchanges early on.

And North took the lead when captain Lewis Francuz fed the ball to Matt Mills, who advanced into the D and fired a reverse stick shot past the keeper.

Lee Chambers scores North Somerset's third goal against WestonLee Chambers scores North Somerset's third goal against Weston

Steve Proctor had to clear a dangerous Weston cross soon after, as Lee Chambers marshalled the North defence, where Patt Tanner, Dangerfield and Daniel Ball made vital challenges to protect their lead.

Dangerfield was shown a green card, though, as Weston won a short corner, with Proctor making a quick reflex save after Chambers lost possession close to his own goal line.

Tanner linked up well with George Priestner and Charlie Mott, but Ball was shown a yellow card for a robust challenge, which saw Brad Krone drop into his midfield role in a reshuffle.

Weston had further corners blocked by Ball and Dangerfield, or saved by Proctor, as North remained 1-0 up at half time.

And the tie remained close in the second half, as Chambers and Ball distributed the ball well to Scott Voisey, Darshane Theara and Krone.

Weston’s forward line kept up the pressure but the turning point came when Chambers shaped to take a 16 but spotted Mott in space and lofted a 60-yard aerial.

Mott advanced into the D and pulled the ball back to Voisey, who saw the onrushing Scott Mills at the far post to tap in.

North’s defensive line held firm as Weston looked to reply and it was 3-0 when Mott broke into the D but was pushed from behind by the keeper, who was shown a green card. An outfield player took over in goal, but could not keep out the penalty flick from Chambers.

After further chances were saved at both ends, Weston got a consolation when a loose ball was fired high into the net, but Hughes Carpentry man of the match Proctor denied them a late second with a superb save from a corner.

North return to Conference South action with a trip to leaders ISCA A on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury