North Somerset on top
The first representative game between North Somerset Youth Cricket League and the Bristol & District Cricket League took place at Congresbury.
THE first representative game between North Somerset Youth Cricket League and the Bristol & District Cricket League took place at Congresbury.
Having lost the toss and being asked to bat, NYSCL openers Kruz Belcher and Will Mann ran some nervy singles before settling down.
Mann played the supporting role, while captain Belcher hit six boundaries before the 60 run partnership was broken when Mann (15) was caught. Both Alex Leeks and Jake Thompson failed to trouble the scorers.
Hamid claimed the prize wicket of Belcher, who hit a career best 42 (off only 56 balls) before being caught at point. Cam Harding scored seven before being stumped and Scott Ford tried to steady the ship with Joe Statham before Statham was bowled.
You may also want to watch:
Ford then partnered Bradley Lucas (7) until Lucas was bowled. Tommy Hester joined Ford and the pair looked to increase the run rate before Ford was run out for nine. Bristol & District wrapped up the inning, with George Brafield (1), Xander Hartley (0) and Hester (5) falling cheaply as NYSCL finished on a competitive 116 all out.
The Bristol & District openers found the pace of Thompson (5-2-14-0) and Hartley (4-2-8-0) difficult to score from and it was not until the 28th ball of the game before they hit their first run and only eight runs in the first six overs.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
The continued pressure of Hester (5-2-8-0) and Brafield (3-1-6-1) proved too much as wicket began to fall. Louch was caught and bowled by Lucas for 18, soon followed by Lucas taking a good catch of his Weston team-mate Leeks (3-0-3-1).
The quick hands of keeper Belcher combined with the slow left-arm spin of Statham picked up the next wicket. Ford (3-0-16-0) and Cam Harding (1-0-5-0) bowled well, leading to a run out.
Lucas (6-1-22-3) claimed two important wickets as the Bristol and District finished on 107-7.
The North Somerset Youth Cricket League face Bristol & District at Long Ashton on August 15.