Old Reds too strong for Hornettes
Visitors Old Reds proved too strong on the day for Hornettes ladies.
Hornettes 0 pts
Old Redcliffians 19 pts
HORNETTES ladies rugby team played host to Old Redcliffians ladies on a cold, but sunny afternoon.
The past meetings of these two teams have always resulted in close games. After some sustained pressure from an organised Old Reds, they broke through the Hornettes defence to score the opening try out wide.
You may also want to watch:
The home side’s scrum was solid, which gave them a good platform for the backs to get the ball out wide on several occasions, but the visitors’ backs were strong in defence.
On one such occasion, the Old Reds centre intercepted a pass and raced away to score under the posts, making it 12-0 at the break.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 8 Last chance to share your views on proposed relocation of Weston GP practice
- 9 Hornets' Richardson doesn't take notice of results ahead of Old Centralians
- 10 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
In the second half, Hornettes played their best rugby with forwards and backs interlinking well. They took advantage of Old Reds’ ill-discipline when they were marched back 20 metres by the referee.
They won the resulting line-out from the penalty kick and continued to take the ball forward into the Old Reds 22. Hornettes put huge pressure on the Old Reds defence, but just could not break through.
Old Reds were determined not to let Hornettes score and after a few minutes found their way under the posts for their last try, which was converted.
Back of the match was MJ Jenkins, forward of the match was Emma Small.
Any ladies aged 18 or over interested in playing rugby, please contact Emma Small on 07429 868505.
Hornets also have girls’ rugby, so any girls aged between 11 and 17 please contact Dennis Hull on 07916 282699.