Olympic champion visits Axbridge
Double Olympic gold medallist Sarah Ayton visited Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club, based at Axbridge reservoir.
BRISTOL Corinthian Yacht Club, based at Axbridge reservoir, were delighted to welcome double Olympic gold medallist Sarah Ayton and discover firsthand what it is like to compete at Olympic level and win.
During her visit, Sarah agreed to launch and commission the club’s brand new RS Teras, which have been purchased through the Eric Twiname/RS subsided grant to encourage children into racing.
Sarah started sailing Optimist sailing dinghy at the age of six and progressed to crewing for any club member that would take her sailing. Her inspiration to compete at the Olympics came while watching the 1992 games on television.
She turned professional at 18 and went to Sydney as Shirley Robertson’s training partner. Shirley went onto win gold in the Europe at the 2000 Olympics and when this class of boat was withdrawn, asked Sarah to crew the Yngling in preparation for the 2004 games in Rome, where together with Sarah Webb they won gold.
You may also want to watch:
She then teamed up with Sarah Webb and Pippa Wilson winning a second Olympic gold medal in the Yngling class in Beijing 2008. Sarah went on to explain the gruelling preparation involved, the dedication to her training schedule and her personal feelings on achieving her dream.
After the talk, BCYC members had the opportunity to chat with Sarah, wear her Beijing gold medal and have their photographs taken with her.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 New leadership team for charity
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences