Olympic legacy creates interest
The achievements of Team GB at the Olympics has created a surge in pre-season interest at local hockey clubs.
THE Olympic hockey legacy lives on in Somerset as Team GB’s bronze medal has created a surge in pre-season interest at local clubs.
Local hockey club Winscombe ladies, who play at Hans Price Academy in Weston, has enjoyed a record number of girls and women at pre-season hockey training since the Olympics finished, including new players and aspiring, talented youngsters from Winscombe’s own junior section who have now graduated from the juniors into the senior club.
“There is tremendous interest and excitement in hockey at the moment, thanks to the magnificent achievement of Team GB. We are all so proud of their achievements with many of us managing to secure tickets to go up to see them compete,” said Jo Hann, Winscombe’s chairman.
No one was more proud, than Winscombe’s first team forward, Gabby Richardson, who along with the rest of her family, were there to cheer on the team and in particular Gabby’s sister, Helen Richardson, who captained Team GB against Korea.
You may also want to watch:
Winscombe are responding to this surge in interest by holding an open club day on Saturday at Hans Price Academy in Weston, offering two free taster sessions at training on Wednesday evenings 7.30-9.30pm (junior training is 6.30-7.30pm) and half-price membership for those who decide to join.
Everyone is welcome to come along and give it a try, however, with two teams gaining promotion into higher divisions this season, the club is keen to welcome new players with previous hockey experience to the club.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 5 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 6 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 7 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 8 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 9 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
To book a free session or for further details, please contact Jo on 0797704639, Trudie (junior section leader for under-13s) on 01934 843914 or e-mail Gail at Izzards@btinternet.com
Find us and follow us on Facebook: WLHC