Olympic-themed races at Chew Valley
Chew Valley Sailing Club hosts an Olympic-themed torch race for over one 100 boats on May 23.
CHEW Valley Sailing Club will be taking torch relay celebrations to the highest level when it hosts an Olympic-themed torch race for over one 100 boats on May 23.
The race, at the club in Chew Stoke, is an RYA Sail for Gold event joining in with the spirit of the Olympics, and will be divided into three separate fleets, which will start at three-minute intervals from 7pm
It will be possible to view the activity from vantage points around Chew Valley Lake, at Woodford Lodge and Chew Valley Picnic Area.
The A Handicap will include the fastest boats from more than a dozen different classes including Flying 15, Fireball, Scorpion, 505, Buzz, Cherub, Lark and RS.
You may also want to watch:
The B Handicap will include slower boats from a wide range of classes including Solo, Feva, Wayfarer, Enterprise, Europe and Streaker. Finally, the Olympic class Laser fleet will comprise around 30 competing boats.
Prizes for the evening will include special torch race medallions.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 10 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
The torch race forms part of the larger Wednesday Evening Series at the club which runs from April to September every year.