Open match at Shiplate
- Credit: Archant
Andy France has won the latest open match held at Shiplate Farm Fisheries near Bleadon.
AN open match was held jointly on the Westpool and Hawthorns lakes at Shiplate Farm Fisheries.
With glorious winter sunshine throughout the match, it highlighted the venue’s scenic setting and gave the anglers a pleasurable match, rather than the recent wet ones they had endured.
A light ground frost and a lot of rain water from the previous night meant the fish were going to be picky feeders. The fish were spread out along the canals and everyone caught something, but Andy France caught the winning bag of 44lb 7oz, fishing the pole shallow to the far bank, using maggot with zero feed.
Silvers winners were Julian Pinkett (peg 1 Hawthorns) with 5lb and John Hawkins (peg 12 Westpool) 4lb 12oz.
You may also want to watch:
Results: Andy France (Cadbury Angling) p10 W, 44lb 7oz; Dave Cockayne (Shiplate) p9 H, 29lb 12oz; Ron Starke (Weston AA) p5 H, 19lb 10oz; Gordon Jones (Shiplate) p3 W, 18lb; Jason Bird (Frys) p3 H, 14lb 14oz; Russ Peck (Thatchers) p11 H, 9lb 3oz.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 6 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 7 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.