Open singles tournament held at Cheddar
- Credit: Archant
Cheddar Tennis Club held a successful grade 5 LTA open singles tournament during half term.
CHEDDAR Tennis Club ran a successful grade 5 LTA open singles tournament during half term, with entries from players all round the West Country.
First up was the Under-12 boy’s event, won by Luke Johnson from Avon, who outmuscled county compatriot Isaak Salmon-Brown, winning convincingly in straight sets.
In the girls’ section, the Under-12 and Under-14 events were combined, with the younger girls performing well against the older players.
The final proved to be a close encounter, with second seed Josie Culliford (Devon) coming from a set down to win the match on a tie break against top seed Sophie Rees (Gloucester).
You may also want to watch:
The Under-16 boy’s event also produced an entertaining final, won by number one seed Django Evans (Devon) in two closely fought sets against Ken Thie from Avon.
In the week following, the tournament the club’s head coach Stephen Pearce ran a popular two-day tennis camp with mini tennis in the mornings and yellow ball in the afternoons.
- 1 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 2 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 3 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 5 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 6 New scheme to monitor high-risk Covid patients at home will 'save lives'
- 7 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 8 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 9 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 10 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
Regular weekly coaching has now resumed for children on Fridays after school and Saturday mornings and for adults on Wednesday evenings and Tuesday and Friday mornings.
Full details from Stephen on 07904 061301 or email firstname.lastname@example.org