Open triples event starts on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
The 94th Weston Men’s Open Bowling Tournament starts on Sunday with 42 teams competing in the all-day open triples event.
THE 94th Weston Men’s Open Bowling Tournament, sponsored by local opticians Optika, starts at Clarence Park on Sunday, with 42 teams competing in the all-day open triples.
Local bowler Colin Gazzard (Victoria), who won the singles championship for the second time last year, will start the defence of his title against clubmate Derek Hurst on Monday.
Hot favourites to win the men’s pairs for the third time in four years are Gareth Burbridge, from Worcester, and Gloucester City’s Doug Lewis. They provide formidable opposition on Monday for their first-round opponents, locals Malcolm Campbell (Victoria) and Ken Curtis (St Andrews).
Lewis also won the mixed pairs last year, with Sue Harrison (Victoria), but his partner for 2015 has still to be named. They will play Clarence duo Tony Mannion and Margaret Noddings in the first round on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Of last year’s men’s triples champions, only Clarence’s Trevor Pritchard has entered. This time, he will be partnered by clubmates Tony Mannion and Mick Edlin.
Play continues in the various competitions until Saturday, when the finals will be staged.
- 1 Businesses refused to reopen after lockdown due to staff safety fears in Weston town centre
- 2 Weston family who had home transformed featured on DIY SOS
- 3 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 4 Winter Gardens set to open newly refurbished eatery
- 5 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 6 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 7 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3