Owen wins fourth title at Long Ashton
Owen Layton won his fourth club championship at Long Ashton Golf Club.
LONG Ashton Golf Club Championship’s were held in testing conditions, but were eventually finished after the greens were cleared of water.
The morning round had set things up nicely for the afternoon, and saw a wonderful start by Rob Allen. His first tee shot ending with a hole-in-one. The best gross of 72 was by Roger Giles, followed by Harry Fowler (73) and Owen Layton (74). Tony Smedley had the best net of 68.
In the afternoon, the scores were slightly higher, with the Boyd Cup (off handicap) won by Sam Phipps with a net 142, beating Hugh Purvis and Russ Abrahams on countback. Steve Clark had the best net score of 70 (and saw his handicap cut by 1.8).
For the gross prizes, Andy Wright pinched second place with a gross 152, beating Harry Fowler on countback, but the winner was Owen Layton with 150, his fourth club championship and his first since 2001.
You may also want to watch:
Results – club championship: Owen Layton 150; Andy Wright 152 (back 18); Harry Fowler 152. Boyd Cup: Sam Phipps (144 (back 9); Hugh Purvis 144 (back 18); Russell Abrahams 144.
Best gross am: Roger Giles 72; nett am: Tony Smedley 68; gross pm: Ross Adamson 76; nett pm: Steve Clark 70.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 7 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 8 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 9 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences