Paralympic sport comes to Weston
- Credit: Archant
Goalball will be launching its first club in Weston at the Hans Price Sports Centre.
GOALBALL, the only sport invented especially for the visually impaired, will be launching its first club in Weston on Saturday.
Played with raised markings on the floor, blindfolds are used to ensure an even playing field as players locate the ball through sound. Currently, Goalball is the only Paralympic team sport for women and boasts a highly successful national women’s team.
The sport was originally developed to rehabilitate of soldiers after World War 2 and has been enjoying a surge in support and participation, especially after its popularity at London 2012.
Goalball is played by two teams of three players with a maximum of three substitutions on each team. The object of the game is to score a goal by bowling the ball along the floor so that it crosses the goal line of the opposing team.
You may also want to watch:
In the past two years alone, the number of active clubs has almost doubled from 18 to 30, with Weston becoming the latest location. The hope is for this to be the first of many clubs in the West Country.
The first session with be taking place at Hans Price Sports Centre, Marchfields Way, Weston, from noon-2pm, with a second session scheduled for March 7. For more information, and to register your interest, please contact Becky Ashworth on 01142 235670 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 2 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 3 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 4 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 5 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Blue plaque installed for famous actress
- 8 Customers urged to support local pubs, restaurants and cafes to boost hospitality sector
- 9 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 10 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend