Paul claims world duathlon title in Spain
- Credit: Archant
Weston Athletic Club member Paul Snelling became world champion at the 2016 ITU Duathlon World Championships in Spain.
Weston Athletic Club member Paul Snelling has earned himself a world title at the 2016 ITU Duathlon World Championships in Spain.
The sprint event, which comprised a 5k run, a 20.5k bike ride and another 2.5k run, attracted elite and age-group athletes from all over the world.
Paul’s category featured athletes from across Europe, Canada, the USA and Australia. Paul put himself in a strong position right from the start, and although the 5k run was a tough one, he finished with a lead on the second placed competitor of well over a minute and a half.
He maintained his advantage over the hilly bike course before tackling the final run. It was here that he found a final burst of energy to increase his lead by a further two minutes.
You may also want to watch:
This overall performance, plus his swift and practised transitions, enabled Paul to romp home a clear winner and world champion for his age group. His time of 1.18.03 was almost five minutes ahead of his closest rival.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 5 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 9 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival