Paul claims world duathlon title in Spain
- Credit: Archant
Weston Athletic Club member Paul Snelling became world champion at the 2016 ITU Duathlon World Championships in Spain.
Weston Athletic Club member Paul Snelling has earned himself a world title at the 2016 ITU Duathlon World Championships in Spain.
The sprint event, which comprised a 5k run, a 20.5k bike ride and another 2.5k run, attracted elite and age-group athletes from all over the world.
Paul’s category featured athletes from across Europe, Canada, the USA and Australia. Paul put himself in a strong position right from the start, and although the 5k run was a tough one, he finished with a lead on the second placed competitor of well over a minute and a half.
He maintained his advantage over the hilly bike course before tackling the final run. It was here that he found a final burst of energy to increase his lead by a further two minutes.
You may also want to watch:
This overall performance, plus his swift and practised transitions, enabled Paul to romp home a clear winner and world champion for his age group. His time of 1.18.03 was almost five minutes ahead of his closest rival.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 'Bright future' for Weston high street