Personal best times set at Burnham 5k race
- Credit: Archant
Weston Athletic Club members set 17 new personal best times at the Burnham 5k series.
Fresh from their successes at Burnham half marathon the previous weekend, Weston Athletic Club members returned to the town to take part in the first race of Burnham Pool’s 5k series.
The flat route is a favourite for runners looking to clock a quick time over this short distance.
The club’s runners were not disappointed either, and dominated the race from the start. Kieron Summers and Jules Pflaum were first man and woman to finish in 16.36 and 19.48, both setting new personal best times for the distance.
Matt Dell and Wilf Huxtable were second and third overall in 17.09 and 17.20, also with new best times. Rachel Andrews was second club female in 23.24, and making a strong return from a recent injury, Michelle Fryer pipped Helen Diamond at the post to take third club female spot in 23.34.
You may also want to watch:
Of the 27 club members who ran, 17 achieved new quickest times for the distance.
The club put on its own Mendip Muddle off-road event, covering 12 miles of challenging off-road terrain across the top of the Mendips. The recent fine weather favoured runners with firm ground underfoot, and the weather gods were also kind for the duration of the race.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 New leadership team for charity
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
The first of the club’s members to complete the course was Darren Stacey in 1.29.20. Dan Potter followed in 1.34.32 and Rob Furlong in 1.34.59.
Niki Fulstow was first club female in 1.56.39, followed by Sian Roberts in 1.58.25 and Geraldine Hope in 2.16.30.
Meanwhile in York, Julie Monaghan was lining up to take part in her first full marathon. Having trained really hard throughout the summer, she ran an excellent race to finish the 26.2 miles in 4.35.57.
Tobias Hinchcliffe completed his fifth marathon in just two weeks at Dorney Lake in Berkshire. He completed the 10 laps of the lake in an impressive 3.29.05.
The club’s next event is the second race in the Weston prom run series on October 20. The junior one-mile race starts at 6.45pm, followed by the main five-mile race at 7.30pm.
Race HQ for both events is The Bay Cafe on Weston seafront. Runners can enter on the night, or online at www.westonac.co.uk/promrun