Pirates take gold and silver
Kayakers from Steepholme Pirates took gold and silver at the Brecon Canoe Race.
FOUR kayakers from Weston club Steepholme Pirates competed in the Brecon Canal Race and returned with pieces of gold and silver.
The event is organised by the Aberfan Canoe Club and is raced over 7km on the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal, starting and finishing at Pencelli Court Farm.
The day was a huge success for all of the Pirate kayakers. Stalwart Shaun Callaghan won first prize in the Elite K1 event in a time of 56 minutes, with the ever-improving gaining Gareth Hiscock second place overall.
Gary Thorne performed strongly and showed all of his experience to win first prize in the general purpose category. Clubmate Tony Slingsby finished in second place having been surprised by Gary’s swift action at the finish.
You may also want to watch:
The Pirates wish to thank Richard Stacey for acting as support crew during the day.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 6 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 7 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 10 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory