Pirates take gold and silver
Kayakers from Steepholme Pirates took gold and silver at the Brecon Canoe Race.
FOUR kayakers from Weston club Steepholme Pirates competed in the Brecon Canal Race and returned with pieces of gold and silver.
The event is organised by the Aberfan Canoe Club and is raced over 7km on the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal, starting and finishing at Pencelli Court Farm.
The day was a huge success for all of the Pirate kayakers. Stalwart Shaun Callaghan won first prize in the Elite K1 event in a time of 56 minutes, with the ever-improving gaining Gareth Hiscock second place overall.
Gary Thorne performed strongly and showed all of his experience to win first prize in the general purpose category. Clubmate Tony Slingsby finished in second place having been surprised by Gary’s swift action at the finish.
You may also want to watch:
The Pirates wish to thank Richard Stacey for acting as support crew during the day.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 7 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud