Position performance by Winscombe seconds
Winscombe ladies second team produced a positive performance against Nailsea, despite going down by the odd goal.
Nailsea Ladies 1st XI 2
Winscombe Ladies 2nd XI 1
THIS was a positive performance from the second team, with improved work rate, understanding and communication.
Winscombe’s back line of Izzy Savage, Jo Horwood, Annabel and Lucy James were under pressure from the start, while goalie Vicki Pagett was also on good form.
You may also want to watch:
The midfield of Alice Sloman, Kelly Clark and Hannah Hussey worked well together, but it was difficult for them to engage the forwards in the match as the half ended goalless.
The second half started with great drive and enthusiasm as winger Trudie Lynham found Becky Matthews, whose shot went just wide. Soon after, Matthews scored from a well-worked short corner routine.
- 1 New leadership team for charity
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 5 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 6 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 7 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 8 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 9 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
Nailsea came back strongly and equalised, despite good defence from Annabel James and Savage. With five minutes to go, Nailsea scored the winner.
Some good movement from L James and Horwood, to get the ball out of defence, The John Hodge Solicitors’ player of the match was Annabel James.
Mendip Ladies 3rd XI 3
Winscombe Ladies 3rd XI 2
IN this return friendly during half-term week, it was another chance for the team to build on their improved performances and to try some players in different positions.
Mendip were first to be rewarded for their efforts with a goal. Winscombe hit back through Gail Izzard, Jo Hann, Emma Whitehead and Shirley Hartshorne and had a goal disallowed.
Mendip doubled their lead, despite keeper Heather Batchelor’s best efforts. Winscombe’s Caroline Marsh capitalised on excellent approach play by Whitehead and Ella Byrne, before Marsh fired off a rasping shot which clattered into the backboard.
In the second half, Hartshorne and Vicky Whitaker worked hard up front, while Imogen Marsh and Katie Semple put in excellent performances in midfield. Defenders Sarah Kempster and Jo Sawtell snuffed out the occasional Mendip break, with Batchelor again pulling off some excellent saves.
However, an interception saw Mendip score their third goal. Marsh scored a spectacular reverse-stick flick just before the final whistle sounded.
The John Hodge Solicitors’ player of the match was Heather Batchelor.