Promotion for Uphill team
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club’s B team gained promotion with a game to spare after beating Nailsea & Backwell.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s B team defeated Nailsea & Backwell A to clinch promotion.
The team of Emily Page-Symonds, Anjam Asif, Harriet Birt, Robin Curry, Steph Hadley and captain Rob Morray started poorly, with Emily and Anjam losing, before Harriet and Robin won the second rubber, but then lost the third rubber.
The pattern in the ladies’ doubles followed the mixed with Nailsea & Backwell winning the first and third ladies, while Emily and Steff won the second, leaving Uphill trailing 4-2 with just the men’s to come.
The Uphill men stepped up a gear with Anjam and Robin and Anjam and Rob bringing the match back to all square. Robin and Rob lost the first game, but won the next two to be overall winners of Division 2.
You may also want to watch:
Uphill will now have two teams in the Division 1 next season. The only person to win all their rubbers was Robin Curry.
The D team were away to Clevedon Feathers C and won 5-4. The team of Kate Robinson, Carl Harrison (captain), Emily Look, Sourish Ganapathi, Ellen Davis, and Billy Fear all played well.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
Clevedon started the match well winning the first mixed. Uphill hit back with wins for Emily and Sourish and Ellen and Billy.
Kate and Emily won the first ladies, but Kate and Ellen lost the next, followed by another Clevedon win to give the hosts a 4-3 lead.
Carl & Billy won the second men’s to bring the match level with all to play for. The final rubber saw Sourish and Billy win in three games to give Uphill an exciting victory.
The only person to win all his rubbers was Uphill’s Billy Fear. This means the D team needs to win their last match at home against Chew Valley B by seven rubbers to finish second in Division 4.