Promotion hopes dashed
Weston St Johns hopes of promotion all but disappeared with this disappointing result.
Cleeve West Town 3
Weston St Johns 2
SAINTS’ hopes of achieving a second successive promotion all but disappeared with this disappointing performance against Cleeve.
Saints were well below their normal standards and a succession of basic defensive errors by defenders Ash Flavell, Andy Young, Andy Llewellyn and Dean Pierson saw them gift Cleeve a 3-0 lead inside the first 25 minutes. Just before half-time Saints gave themselves a chance when a good pass from Ross Stockhall was fired home by Juzzy Flavell.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was a bit better for Saints but it was keeper Joe Malik who was the busier of the two. The introduction of Rob Winter livened the game up for St Johns and for a while Saints enjoyed the upper hand.
With 10 minutes left Saints made the score 3-2 when Stockhall scored with a well-placed penalty. The final 10 minutes saw Saints searching for the equaliser, but it was too little too late.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 8 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Ross Stockhall.