Promotion ruled out for the Cheesemen
- Credit: Archant
Cheddar lost two matches in a row which has effectively ruled out promotion this season.
Keynsham Town 3
Saturday’s 3-2 defeat against Keynsham Town effectively ruled out the Cheesemen’s promotion campaign for this season.
Cheddar had several early chances through Ricki Bennett, but he could not find the back of the net, but Chris Coombs opened the scoring after beating three defenders.
You may also want to watch:
On the half hour, Robbi Maggs went close and a minute later Danny Griffiths headed just wide, before Maggs’ effort was well saved by the keeper, Lewis Matthews hitting the rebound just over the bar.
The second half saw the visitors draw level on 65 minutes and four minutes later take the lead with a deflected shot. Keynsham extended their lead before substitute Callum Ham netted from the penalty spot to reduce the arrears.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Last chance to share your views on proposed relocation of Weston GP practice
- 9 Hornets' Richardson doesn't take notice of results ahead of Old Centralians
- 10 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
Wincanton Town 3
Cheddar failed to take the opportunity to move level with the top three in a midweek match at Wincanton Town.
The visitors started well and an intricate three-man move involving Callum Ham, Mark Armstrong and George Booth, ended with the latter shooting from close range. Soon after, a Ricki Bennett shot hit the post.
The second half had an intriguing opening as Town went agonisingly close before Robbi Maggs hit the woodwork. Before the Cheddar players had time to react, the hosts scored at the other end, following a poor clearance from keeper Dangerfield.
The Cheesemen replied when Ham was upended in the penalty area and scored from the resultant spot kick to bring the scores level.
Wincanton took the lead again on 81 minutes and two minutes later scored again to extend their lead and run out winners on the night.
Cheddar have secured their first pre-season game for the close season with a match against Southern League side Paulton Rovers.