Pupils just miss out on dream trip
Pupils from Hugh Sexey Middle School in Blackford just miss out on a trip to Twickenham.
YEAR five and six pupils from Hugh Sexey Middle School in Blackford, just missed out on an appearance at a England versus Wales Twickenham fixture in August.
They competed in the national finals of the Tag to Twickenham rugby tournament at the home of the sport at Rugby College, Warwickshire. As South West regional qualifiers, the team were one of the top 20 sides representing regions from all over the country.
The team played four challenging group matches winning three and drawing one, topping their group and entering the final round. The draw placed them in a competitive final group, with the final four matches seeing two wins and two draws.
The eventual winners of the tournament, Stanley School of Twickenham, could only hold Hugh Sexey to a draw in the last match of this final group. This resulted in Sexeys missing out on the top spot to face the winners of the other group - West Leigh School of Southend, who had already been beaten by Hugh Sexey’s earlier.
You may also want to watch:
The Hugh Sexey side received many plaudits from a number of opposition coaches, praising their fast and skilful passing game. They finished the day unbeaten and take pride in their excellent performance and sporting approach.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 5 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 9 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 10 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset