Pythons on target for league title
- Credit: Archant
C & C Pythons look favourites for the Weston & District Table Tennis League.
C & C PYTHONS look favourites to take the Division 1 championship after a 7-3 win over third-placed Veterans A and also with two matches in hand.
Pythons’ Andy Elliott waltzed through his matches, only Colin Lewis giving him any trouble. Pythons’ Kiem Mu had hard five game matches against Lewis and Ann Sandford, but overcame Mark Treasure in three. The two Pythons also took the doubles against Lewis and Sandford.
C & C Vipers finished their season against a depleted Winsc Renegades team who both fell to Vipers’ Bill Atkinson and Max Jeremiah, while Phil Yates took two games from Jeremiah.
Beth Atkinson needed five games to overcome Yates, but fell to Trevor Jones 11-9 in the fifth. Renegades’ Yates and Jones won a convincing doubles beating Beth and Max again in five games.
You may also want to watch:
Vipers won the match and wait for other teams to finish to see where they finish in the league.
Totterdown C had close rallies in their match against Vets A, but saw both Peter Butterworth and Colin Lewis winning their singles. Ann Sandford lost to Gary Chell in a close five game encounter.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 9 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Butterworth and Sandford were back to winning form, taking the doubles in three against Chell and Mark Price and the match 9-1.
In Division 2, Vets C needed all their skills and experience to overcome the C & C Banwell B team, youngsters Max Bretherton and Hannah Cope giving a good account of themselves.
Vets’ Gary Every and John Barcham with three singles, lost games to Rick Hutchinson, while Vets’ Len Noble went down to Hutchinson. With success in the doubles, Vets won the match 27-7.
C & C Banwell A team have had a good season to finish runners-up in Division 2. Alec Chandler, Jack Brent and Katy Groom played well against top Vets C team pushing them to four and five games. Mark Treasure and John Barcham won two for Vets and Jack Brent two for Banwell A. Vets took the match 25-16.
The two C & C Banwell teams enjoyed a cracking end of season match with close games. The A team’s Harry Skidmore and Jack Brent won all their matches, although the B team’s Mike Skidmore took two games from Harry and one from Brent.
Hannah Cope of the B team beat Katy Groom in four and one game from Harry. The 3-2 doubles went to Banwell A, who won he match 25-12.