Rampant Winscombe run in 13 tries against Clevedon
- Credit: Archant
A dominant Winscombe pack laid the foundation for a 13-try demolition of Clevedon.
Winscombe 83 pts
Clevedon 2nd XV 7 pts
WINSCOMBE ran in 13 tries against second from bottom Clevedon in an excellent showing of open rugby.
Winscombe opened the scoring with a penalty by Steve Pugh after three minutes and eight minutes later Jim Rutherford crossed for a try after good work by James Flower and Will Thomas.
You may also want to watch:
Winscombe were making too many handling errors, but with such a dominant scrummage it was of little consequence. Thomas, Lewis Podpadec, Owen Howell and Flower attacked from the third strike against the head 15 metres out and at the ruck Podpadec made a break for a try, converted by Pugh.
Clevedon had a period of pressure, but Winscombe counter attacked and from a turnover, Thomas and Podpadec fed Ball, who was driven over for the bonus point try.
- 1 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 2 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 3 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 5 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 6 New scheme to monitor high-risk Covid patients at home will 'save lives'
- 7 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 8 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 9 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 10 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
Just before the break, Thomas fed Howell from a fourth strike against the head. He made a clean break to send Flower in for a try.
Winscombe were soon on the attack in the second half and when a break by Flower on the counter ended with a forward pass 10 metres out, they took their fifth strike against the head. Thomas drove forward to earn a put-in only five metres out, giving Podpadec a simple touchdown as the scrummage headed for the line.
Good play by Adam Scrase led to Podpadec completing his hat-trick. After this, the floodgates opened and there were tries for Kieron Gibson, Sam Dearsley, Rutherford, Rhys Lewis (2), Flower and Pugh. Howell kicked one conversions, as did Lewis.
Winscombe were penalised for crossing as Howell and Podpadec tried to run the next restart out of defence and Clevedon kicked for the corner to have the final say as they drove over from the line-out maul for a converted try.