Rebels reach the semi-finals
The Somerset Rebels reached the semi-finals of the Premier League Knockout Cup after a narrow one-point victory over Workington.
THE Somerset Rebels booked their place in the semi-finals of the Premier League Knockout Cup after a stunning recovery to register a one-point victory over Workington.
After losing the first leg 48-42, they beat the Comets at the Oaktree Arena 48-41 for a 90-89 aggregate victory.
The Rebels were looking to overcome a six-point deficit from the first leg and looked in trouble as Workington led 40-38 going into the final two heats.
In heat 14, the Rebels were gifted a full house Workington’s Chris Mills was excluded after bringing down guest reserve Damien Koppe. Meanwhile, Mills’ team-mate Tero Aarnio suffered mechanical problems and could not race, leaving the Rebels with five points.
You may also want to watch:
The heat 15 decider saw Jason Doyle and Nick Morris cross the line ahead of the visitors’ pair to complete an unlikely aggregate win.
There is no home action tomorrow (Fri) for the Cases Somerset Rebels, with their attentions turning to Sunday’s Premier League Fours Championship being held at Peterborough’s East of England Showground track.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 10 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
The quartet that will carry the Rebels’ hopes this time around are club captain Jason Doyle, together with Nick Morris, Josh Grajczonek and Alex Davies, with Kyle Newman as team reserve.