Relegated Clevedon earn a point

Rugby Town 4 Clevedon Town 4 - CLEVEDON travelled to Warwickshire to play Rugby in their last Zamaretto Premier League match of the season and earned a point from a remarkable draw.

Rugby Town 4

Clevedon Town 4

CLEVEDON travelled to Warwickshire to play Rugby in their last Zamaretto Premier League match of the season and earned a point from a remarkable draw as both already relegated sides went down fighting.

Danny Greaves, making his 200th appearance for the Seasiders, was captain for the day in a Clevedon team that showed three changes from the side that had narrowly lost against Oxford City in midweek..

You may also want to watch:

Clevedon made all the early running with Paul Michael, Gary Colborne, Joey Evans and David Bailey failing to convert good chances. On 25 minutes Rugby took the lead against the run of play as leading scorer David Kolodynski deflected a snap shot into the corner of the net.

Minutes later Greaves pulled off a point-blank save from Andrew Stevens and the rebound was slotted home only to be disallowed for offside and David Bailey had a goal ruled out for a foul

Most Read

Just before half time the Seasiders drew level when another dangerous Walsh cross hit Rugby defender Sam Birtwhistle on the shin and cannoned into his own net.

On 46 minutes a Dan Cayford cross was fumbled by Rugby keeper Danny Bell leaving David Bailey a simple tap-in, but he missed the open goal. Clevedon went 2-1 ahead from their next attack as Nana Baah was played through and obbed Bell from 20 yards. Rugby hit back minutes later as Shawn Richards was given the freedom of the left wing and shot under Greaves.

Fifteen minutes later the Seasiders went 3-2 ahead as Matthew Walsh ran on to a precision pass from Craig Loxton and hit a confident drive into the bottom corner and 10 minutes later it was 4-2 as substitute Toby Osman beat the offside trap and hit a powerful blast past Bell.

It seemed that Clevedon had won the game when referee Mr Sheffield from Walsall blew for full time, that was until everybody in the ground let it be known to him that only 80 minutes had been played. But the ensuing delay before the restart seemed to confuse Clevedon and inspire Rugby for one last push as they reduced the arrears on 81 minutes when Andrew Stevens had a simple side foot in at the far post after Greaves could only parry Sam Youngs' shot.

Rugby keeper Bell then made a great save from Chris Hartland's rocket, before a penalty was awarded against Loxton, which Karl Fellows converted to bring the scores level again.

Clevedon Town 1

Oxford City 2

CLEVEDON'S awful home form continued against mid-table Oxford, as they lost in front of their lowest ever Southern League gate at the Hand, just 80, and finished their season in 21st place and almost definite relegation.

Both sides settled well with Craig Loxton and David Bailey going close for Clevedon, with Elliott Sandy shooting wide and Andy Gunn heading over the home bar from the best chance of the half. Clevedon created two more good chances. James Tyrrell sent a screamer a foot wide from long range and then Toby Osman was thwarted by the visitors' goalkeeper Richard Knight, who blocked his fierce shot and then David Bailey just miss with the rebound. Clevedon created the first chance of the second half when a good break and cross by Loxton was wasted by Chris Hartland who fired over from a good position.

Oxford were showing more attacking prowess and Jamie Brooks wasted a good chance before Elliott Sandy put the visitors ahead in the 60th minute. That was the boost that Oxford needed and they took control without creating too many clear chances. However they scored again in the 74th minute when they broke quickly after a Matt Walsh free kick on the edge of their penalty area was easily blocked and they raced away to the other end and Sandy fired past Greaves.

Near the end, Clevedon managed to pull a goal back when Toby Osman flicked a header into the path of Chris Hartland who slotted past Knight.

Janet Steele presented Danny Greaves with a commemorative tankard & bottle of champagne to mark his 200th appearance.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus