Renegades reach the cup final after narrow derby victory
Winscombe Renegades beat their clubmates the Rebels to reach the final of the Archdale Cup.
THE Archdale semi-final between Winscombe clubmates Renegades and Rebels was a hard-fought match which went to the final set.
Rebels’ Dave Hunt (2) took first blood against Trevor Jones (1). Renegades came back with Paul Hayward (-3) taking Mike Baker (3) in two and Dave Williams (3) beating Rob Hansen (4) in three games.
In-form Dave Hunt took on Hayward with a win in three, this was followed by Hansen beating Jones. This was the way the match went with no side having overall advantage, both level at four each.
Jones and Baker had the unenviable task of playing the decider, Jones coming out on top 18 and 10 to clinch the place in the final for Winsc Renegades.
You may also want to watch:
The second semi was between Division 1 Vets A and Division 2 Cleeve and Claverham Cobras.
It was an enjoyable match, the good handicapping leading to closely fought contests. Vets won the first three, Peter Butterworth (0) having the toughest challenge but rose to the occasion, beating Cobras’ Simon Thomas (11) in three, Rick Hutchinson (10) and John Barker (11) in two.
- 1 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 2 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 3 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 4 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 5 Weston woman celebrates a century
- 6 Chef with Michelin star experience shares 'ultimate winters seafood' recipe
- 7 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 8 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 9 North Somerset Council urges businesses to apply for grant funding
- 10 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
First and only win for Cobras went to Thomas who defeated Colin Lewis (2) on 18 and 17. Ann Sandford (6) had a struggle against Hutchinson finally taking the third game after being 11-19 down, clawing her way back to 20-all and then the final point.
Vets won the match 8-1 and will meet Renegades at Cleeve Village Hall on either May 16 or 23.