Revamped tournament at Clarence
- Credit: Archant
The annual Weston Ladies’s Open Bowling Tournament has been completely revamped this year.
MORE than £2,000 in prize money will be at stake this year in the annual Weston Ladies’ Open Bowling Tournament, most entries for which close on June 28.
The tournament, which will be celebrating its diamond jubilee, when it is played from August 25-31, at Clarence Park, Weston, has been completely revamped this year with each of the competitions played to a finish in one day.
Previously, singles, pairs, mixed pairs and unified singles were played throughout the week, with all the finals on the Saturday.
This year, all games will be played in a shorter format, with ladies’ singles on Monday, ladies’ pairs Tuesday, mixed pairs Wednesday and unified singles on Thursday. Friday will feature a new event, ladies’ triples.
You may also want to watch:
In addition, there will be an all-day Sunday triples on the tournament’s opening day and a mixed fours on the final Saturday.
Tournament registrar David Stott said of the changes: “Entries have been falling for the ladies’ tournament, with many competitors finding it difficult to play all week because of childcare and other commitments. We hope that making all the competitions one-day events will make it easier for them.”
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 3 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 4 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 5 Worle opticians wins award
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Cardiff City recall James Waite from loan spell with Weston
- 8 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 9 Wrington store nominated for best in South West
- 10 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
The ever-popular all-day Sunday triples has a later entry deadline than the other competitions, August 13. It attracts up to 60 teams every year to Clarence Park with its three greens.
Entry forms can be downloaded from the website www.westonbowlstournament.org or obtained from: The Registrar, Weston Open Bowls Tournaments, Clarence BC, Clarence Park, Weston-super-Mare BS23 4BN. Or contact the registrar on 01934 625404. Entries must be received by June 28.
The 92nd Weston Men’s Open Bowling Tournament takes place from June 23-29. Both tournaments are organised by Clarence BC, Bowls England’s 2012 Club of the Year.