Rovers crash to another defeat

Ashton & Backwell 3

Langford Rovers 1

ROVERS crashed to their second consecutive league defeat at the hands of their bogey side.

After inflicting the only home defeat of the season on Rovers, Ashton are proving to be a side which Langford struggle to beat.

Starting brightly, the game was open with both sides vying for possession and little goal threat being produced.

You may also want to watch:

The game changed on 20 minutes for Rovers when Levi Marlow was adjudged to have kicked out and hence saw red. Manager Jamie Crandon re-organised and left the impressive Ryan Havard up front on his own.

The visitors took the lead midway through the half when a ball evaded the home defence and left Crandon with little chance to stop Ashton’s striker.

Most Read

Moments later, Havard earned a penalty after fine work from Leigh White and Joe Ellis. James Marshall stepped up only to fire wide, and leave Rovers one down at the break.

The second period was a tight affair. Rovers kept their shape impressively and were rewarded on 60 minutes when Toby Yeates and Havard pressed the home defence into errors resulting in an own goal.

On the front foot, Leigh White arrived to strike the upright. Moving into the last quarter Ashton came back into the game and netted with two late strikes to give them the win.

Rovers travel to Castle Cary in the Somerset Cup on Saturday hoping to avoid three defeats in a row.

Clutton 4

Weston St Johns 2

A POOR first half performance cost Saints dearly in this top of the table clash.

Poor defending by the whole team gifted Clutton a three goal lead in the first 25 minutes. Clutton had further chances to increase their lead, but their shooting was wayward.

Just before half-time, Saints pulled a goal back when Ross Stockhall beat three defenders before firing a shot into the top corner of the net.

Saints started the second half the better side and they soon made the score 3-2 when Danny Sprague fired home from close range. Saints had chances to equalise through Dean Pierson and Stockhall, but the keeper made good saves.

As Saints pushed for the equaliser, Clutton caught them on the break to make the final score 4-2.

Mike Whittaker Building player of the match was Dean Pierson.

Wells City Res 1

Wrington-Redhill 3

WRINGTON travelled to Wells City for this top of the table encounter.

Played on a pitch which was a credit to the groundstaff, the game started with both sides playing attractive football.

Wrington began to take control and a reckless tackle on Andow in the area went unpunished. On the half hour a superb passing move unlocked the Wells defence and Craig Burchill slotted the ball past the home custodian.

Wrington increased their lead minutes later, a sweeping move from left to right freed Neil Andow at the far post who showed why he is the division’s top scorer.

Just before the break Wells pulled one back, a crisp shot hitting the post and rebounding off the back of Saade, in the Wrington goal, landing at the feet of the striker. This was the first goal conceded in open play for six games.

The second half was end-to-end, with the impressive Chris Holland marshalling the threat of White. The game was effectively won on the hour when a raking cross by Dan Tempan was met with an Andow diving header.

Wrington had further chances to increase the lead with the home keeper making great saves from Burchill and Cheeseman. Man of the match was Chris Holland.

On Saturday, Wrington travel to first division Winscombe in an attempt to make it into the last eight of the Somerset Senior Cup, kick-off 1.45pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter