Rovers denied victory by injury-time equaliser

Soccer Langford Roversv Clevedon Utd

Soccer Langford Roversv Clevedon Utd - Credit: Archant

Langford Rovers were denied victory by an injury-time goal by Clevedon United.

Langford Rovers 3

Clevedon Utd 3

AFTER an extended lay-off due to the weather, Langford Rovers returned to action with a decent display against Clevedon.

Rovers started well on a wet pitch and went close early through Ryan Havard and Aaron Blakemore. The latter opened the scoring midway through the first half, tapping in after fine interplay between Levi Marlow and Havard.

Rovers were in control but conceded the equaliser via a fine run from their striker who rounded keeper Jamie Crandon to net. The game opened up and both sides had chances, Crandon making two superb saves at the home end and at the other, Leigh White and Grant Giles.

Blakemore netted his second of the game before Marlow conceded a penalty to level terms at the break.

Most Read

Rovers looked firmer in shape in the second period with a new-look back five, and capitalised when Rhys Farmer tapped in at the far post from a Havard free kick to put Rovers ahead again.

Moments later, Havard was sent off and Rovers had their backs to the wall for a period. Crandon again was excellent and the defence held firm with Rovers creating plenty of chances on the break.

Rovers should have been out of reach come the end, but paid the price with an injury time equaliser.

Knightcott Surface Solutions man of the match went to Jamie Crandon

Shirehampton 7

Weston St Johns 1

A DEPLETED Saints saw a decent performance come crashing down in the final 15 minutes, when hosts scored five goals to give the scoreline an unjust look.

The first half saw both defences on top with chances at a premium. Andy Lockyer coming close for Saints before Shire took the lead on 40 minutes with a shot from 18 yards.

Saints changed things around at the break, with Mark Adams and James Wotton going close. Saints drew level on the hour mark with an excellent finish from young Ben Price.

The home side were on the back foot again, but a long ball out of defence cleared the Saints’ defence for a striker to score against the run of play. The fresh legs of the Shire substitutes helped to succumb the Saints to a heavy defeat.

With no less than eight players returning in the next few weeks, the Saints will be looking stronger for the weeks ahead in which they need to start collecting points to put a gap between them and the teams below.

Alliance Homes man of the match was Ryan Hawkins.

St Johns Res 3

Worle 3

SAINTS Reserves hosted Worle in a local derby and shared the points in their worst performance of the season.

Worle took the lead when Frazier Rendall volleyed past keeper Allchorne. Worle doubled their lead when Tommy Hall netted. Saints pulled a goal back when Lee Whittaker set up Troy Hayes to score.

Saints’ back four of Charalambos, Carpenter, Winter and skipper Hartley began to get on top and Saints equalised when Charalambos’ cross was headed home by Ryan Evans against his former club.

Soon after the break, Hayes crossed for Jack Hodrien to put Saints into the lead. Worle equalised when Bushell netted after confusion in the Saints’ defence.

Special mention for Worle keeper Joe Malik, who made a great save late in the game to earn Worle a deserved point.

M&S carpentry man of the match for Saints was Lee Whittaker. Worle’s man of the match was Bushell.

Congresbury 2

Winscombe 1

CONGRESBURY eased to their seventh straight win in a scrappy game against local rivals Winscombe.

Winscombe started the better of the sides and with better finishing would have taken the lead, but their efforts hardly tested keeper Reece Sullivan. Congresbury took the lead when Ben Marsh crossed for Rob Harraway to score.

The midfield of Moe Lister and Seb Williams began to take control of the game. Ash Brown and Williams had long-range efforts that flew wide to leave the half-time score 1-0.

The second half was fairly even with Congresbury defenders Ollie Clements, Dan Sprague, Sam Clements and Dan Pepworth dealing comfortably with the Winscombe attackers.

Congresbury made the score 2-0 with a stunning strike. The goal came when a pass from Ross Stockhall found Marsh and he struck it first time into the top corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

Winscombe pulled a goal back following a defensive slip. Alex Reid and Si Hewish helped tighten things up and made sure there was no further scoring. Player of the match was Ben Marsh.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter