Rovers keep promotion hopes alive with derby victory

Winscombe v Churchill AFC.

Winscombe v Churchill AFC. - Credit: Archant

Langford Rovers defeated Weston St Johns to keep alive their hopes of promotion.

Weston St Johns 0

Langford Rovers 1

JOSH Evans emerged as the unlikely hero as Langford Rovers reaffirmed their position as the second most senior team in the town of Weston and kept alive their hopes of promotion to the Premier Division of the Somerset County League.

The Bulls pre-match preparations where dealt a double blow with regular keeper Ryan Scott being forced to withdraw through illness and manager Jamie Patterson absent on a coaching course in Spain, but James Daley-Hodgkinson did an admirable job of donning the gloves, while Richard Little was an effective presence in the dugout.

Saints sat deep from the opening, but it meant that the visitors had to remain patient and work hard for the breakthrough, which duly came eight minutes into the second half.

A diagonal pass from Callum Kingdon was played to George King out wide, who drilled the ball across the box before an attempted clearance was delicately placed into the top corner by Evans.

Most Read

The home side allowed Langford to dictate possession which resulted in the creation of numerous chances, which on another day could have led to a far more emphatic scoreline.

The man of the match award, kindly sponsored by Capille Construction Ltd, went to Callum Kingdon, who just edged out William Sneddon-Coombs and Mateusz Trybull.

Winscombe 7

Churchill 0

WINSCOMBE got back to winning ways by beating Churchill 7-0.

The home side started well and went ahead after six minutes through Jamie Hutchinson and they doubled their lead with another Hutchinson goal.

Stoves and Hughes were controlling midfield with the back four of Horwood, Massey Hosey and Collier rarely tested, apart from a shot from Fozzard that hit the post.

The second half started much the same and Daryl Newman made it 3-0 with a superb volley. Churchill were awarded a penalty after a challenge by Collier, but Page made a superb save and from the clearance Winscombe were themselves awarded a penalty after Flint was brought down.

Tim Stoves stepped up and put the kick away. Flint got on the score sheet before Hutchinson got his third and also his third hat-trick this season.

Winscombe manager Steve Barker made changes and pushed both Horwood and Collier into midfield where chances went begging, before Collier got his debut goal, drilling home from close range. The game was very well refereed by Steve Densley. Winscombe Fish Bar man of the match was Hutchinson.

Portishead Town Res 1

Congresbury 1

CONGRESBURY battled hard to earn a deserved point against a good Portishead side.

The start of the game was controlled by Portishead and keeper Danny Bullock had to make an excellent full length save to keep out a long-range effort. Defenders Alex Read, Justin Seale, Rich Carnall and Will Scarrett were struggling to cope with the pacy Portishead attackers and it came as no surprise when Portishead took the lead.

The second half saw a much improved Congresbury take the game to Portishead with Dave Blakley, Liam Knight, Kyle Havard, Tony Tuckfield and Joe Whittaker dominating the midfield, they came close to equalising when Havard’s long-range effort beat the keeper, but crashed back off the crossbar.

Congresbury deservedly equalised when Rob Harraway’s pass found Ross Stockhall and he smashed an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the net from outside the penalty area.

Tony Bartlett physio player of the match was Alex Read.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter