Rovers’ last gasp equaliser

Langford Rovers score a last gasp equaliser against Bridgwater Town Reserves.

Langford Rovers 2

Bridgwater Town Res 2

ROVERS turned in their most disappointing display of the season at home to their lowly Premier Division rivals.

The first period saw Rovers start brightly, but they went behind on 25 minutes when a visiting striker beat debutant keeper Paul Stewart. Rovers did not improve and only made half chances, with Leigh White providing most forward impetus.

You may also want to watch:

On the stroke of half-time, Rovers deserved a penalty when White broke forward and crossed, only for a Town defender to handle in clearing.

Manager Jamie Crandon read the riot act at the break and Rovers started the second period brightly. Ryan Havard started creating chances and White and Grant Giles went close.

Most Read

Rovers went two down against the run of play, a cross evading the home defence and finished superbly by Town’s striker. Crandon made changes and the fresh legs of Joe Ellis and width from Olly Bliss helped create openings.

Havard had a penalty appeal turned down before Bliss earned one a minute later for James Marshall to crash home for his sixth of the season. Town hit the bar near the end and Stewart collected well from a number of crosses before Rovers stole a last-gasp equaliser. Bliss’ corner saw Joe Popperwell rise at the far post to head home.

Crandon will want to see a marked improvement this weekend when Rovers face a tricky away tie at Bishops Lydyeard

Weston St Johns 5

Congresbury 1

SAINTS recorded a comfortable 5-1 victory with a good performance against Congresbury.

Saints dominated from the start with Mark Adams and James Wotton controlling midfield. Following some good play by Jack Clark and Ross Stockhall, they went close to taking the lead, but striker Joe Malik fired over from close range.

Saints opened the scoring when a good pass from Adams found Stockhall and he raced past a defender before beating the keeper. Saints soon made it 2-0 when Ryan Hawkins smashed a free-kick past the keeper.

Saints’ defenders Dean Pierson, Ash Flavell, Mitch Smith and James Bennellick had been untroubled by the Congresbury attack, but a series of free kicks eventually led to Congresbury getting a goal back.

The second half was all Saints and a superb pass from Clark put Stockhall clear and he made the score 3-1 with a neat finish. A defence splitting run by Mike Carpenter ended with a shot that flew just wide. The score became 4-1 as Stockhall turned provider when his neat pass sent Hawkins clear and he made no mistake.

Carpenter made the score 5-1 with a powerful shot that gave the keeper no chance. Saints continued to push forward and there were further chances for Stockhall, Wotton and Carpenter.

Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Ryan Hawkins.

Worle 0

Nailsea United Res 4

THIS was without question Worle’s poorest display this season, going down 4-0 to Nailsea.

Having been beaten the previous week by Nailsea in the cup, Worle were troubled all afternoon by the bustling style of the visiting forward who at the end of the game bagged all four goals.

The only bright light was the introduction of Darren Vincent in the second half after going into the half-time break 3-0 down.

A more spirited display in the second half made the game a better spectacle, but chances for the home side were rare.

New signing Mitch Tucker will make his debut in goal on Saturday and Worle welcome back Greg Miller. On Saturday, Worle are away to Wrington-Redhill.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter